As the weather gets warmer, it is the perfect to get your pet involved in fun family water activities. Whether you are going to the beach, a river or just staying at home by the pool, these water safety tips will help you and your pet, enjoy a splashtastic spring.
- We aren’t the only creatures that like to come out and play during spring; watch out for some of our native wildlife as they usually don’t appreciate our furry friends.
- Prevent beach scavenging. There are some fantastically smelly items by the waterside, but many of these can be harmful to your pet.
- Use a life jacket. If you are out on a boat or paddleboat, a life jacket is a great way to protect your pet if they fall in.
- Carry clean water with you. If your pet is thirsty it is likely they will go for the closest source of water which will upset their stomachs. Make sure you have fresh, clean water on hand for your pet.
- Wash your pet. Make sure to wash your pet after your water activity.
- Check Council warnings before you go to rivers or lakes for Blue-Green algal blooms. These toxic algae are common in stagnant or warm waters during summer. The dried algal rafts on the water line are very attractive to dogs but highly toxic and cause severe gastrointestinal illness, seizures and occasionally death. If in doubt, go somewhere else!
For more tips on water safety, speak to our team.