During autumn and winter rats and mice like to shelter from the weather just as we do and in these seasons rodent poison is most likely to be laid in buildings and therefore be available to our pets.

The chemical used in Rodent poison is a type of blood thinner designed to cause internal bleeding by overdosing the animal on an anticoagulant which prevents the blood from clotting. The chemical is incorporated into an attractive smelling mixture of grain and wax which the rodents can’t resist.

Unfortunately dogs can’t resist the baits either so the baits must be left in an area that the rodents go to but dogs can’t get at them for instance in the eaves of the house or in dog proof bait stations.

The minute you become aware your dog has consumed rodent baits you should get it to the Vet. If it’s very recent that the dog swallowed the bait then the vet can make the dog vomit and give it the antidote. Even if it’s some time since the dog had access to the bait the antidote is still given. Dogs that have been seriously poisoned with rat bait may collapse due to blood loss, look weak or cold, have pale gums and have bloody urine and stools.

If you still have the packaging of the baits take it in with you to show the vet. The active ingredient of the baits will determine the length of time monitoring will be needed and the treatment. Close monitoring will be necessary following recovery and in some cases treatment may take several weeks.